Monday, December 12, 2005

One for the Dream Journal

Dream from last March, as relayed to my wonderful and eternal friend Kristen:

"You and I were attending an Oscar party hosted by Karen Jolicoeur. A buzz went through the room at one point, when someone revealed that Nicole Kidman would be coming by as soon as the Oscar telecast was finished. She and Tom Cruise were together again, and were living with Karen. Everyone stood in line for buffet food and I was struggling in the entry hall with a standing hat rack that refused to stay upright when she came in the door. No one paid her the least bit of attention but I said hello to her as she passed me in the hallway. She leaned in towards me and confidentially reported, "My real name is Paul." I nodded, absorbing the gossip. Abandoning the hat rack, I joined the food crowd. Nicole (Paul) was laughing hilariously with Mark Sullivan. She was leaning back in her spasm of laughter, opening her mouth in rapture, revealing gapped yellowing teeth. I immediately felt disillusioned. The scene shifted, as scenes do in dreams, and I found myself leaning over a dessert case in a lunch place on Mt. Desert Island. It was filled with incredible delights. I decided on a gigantic vanilla muffin frosted with an extremely thick layer of magenta icing, topped with rainbow sprinkles. I took it to the countertop nearby and downed it in one gulp. Finding a green telephone there, I picked it up and called the next dessert place down the street. Laura Hutchins answered and I lied to her, saying, "I've just eaten a popsicle and now I want a muffin." I wanted her to tell me what types of muffins they had at her restaurant, but I didn't want her to know I'd just eaten an immense magenta one with rainbow sprinkles on top. Her voice became muffled, in the manner of someone temporarily putting their palm over the telephone mouthpiece while they speak to someone else in the room. She came back to report her findings, but instead of her voice, I heard the sound of my radio alarm clock, awakening me just now."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home